ARE YOU A MAKER / DESIGNER WHO WANTS TO JOIN A DIGITAL MAKING PIONEER?
We have a part time Production Manager role (developing into a full time role if you wish) for a maker / designer to make custom products for our online community of 130,000 makers / designers. And to help us change the world.
* You believe what we believe … That consumers of the future will download and make products at home (kinda like a ‘digital Ikea’).
* You value what we value.
* You have a deep desire to help other makers / designers make their own custom products. This will make it easy for you to smile, persevere and shine through the ups and downs our customers experience on their personal creative journeys, and the ups and downs we experience on ours.
* You are:
A designer / maker. With a proven eye for detail.
Experienced with laser cutters.
Experienced with vector design software, specifically Adobe Illustrator.
Familiar with the properties of the materials in our catalog here.
Someone who works harmoniously with your team members to delight customers.
Cool under extreme pressure, and you radiate this with your team members and suppliers.
A happy soul. Who communicates well (including online with our global team).
Proactive. Detailed. Process driven. *All three.*
Someone who likes to lead, and enjoys working independently.
Effective at multi tasking and prioritizing the daily rush of tasks that come in a startup.
Someone who understands you get out of life what you put into it. And to change the world this means stepping forward and grabbing at responsibility.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You’ll be our part time Production Manager (minimum 15 hours per week). You’ll be the trusted maker of our customer’s product designs. You’ll enable us to deliver on time as our customer demand is growing.
Your typical day includes:
* Achieving 2 key goals – product making quality and speed of making service. Both measured and reported weekly.
* Managing our online customer order queue, and making customer’s orders using our laser cutters.
* Managing our materials stock so we do not run out. And communicating with our materials suppliers as needed.
* Carefully packaging and shipping customer orders. And communicating with our shipping suppliers as needed.
* Lending your expertise to assist our customers improve their product designs, as needed.
* Liaising with our customer team to ensure on-time delivery of quality custom products.
* Delighting our customers with the unexpected, and putting a smile on their faces, particularly when all seemed lost.
* Attending 2 weekly meetings – one full team discussion about company and individual results, plus one customer/production team discussion about customer experience.
* Identifying problems with and improving our workflows to delight customers.
* As a bonus, creating or editing online help content for our customers to help themselves.
* Freedom and independence to run your own shift.
* Feeling that your work day makes a difference in other people’s lives.
* Market hourly rate.
* Employee rates on laser cutting your own stuff.
Dreamed up in 2006, Ponoko believes consumers of the future will download and make products at home (kinda like a ‘digital Ikea’).
We foresaw the third industrial revolution (distributed digital mass production) growing out of the first and second industrial revolutions (centralized analog mass production).
Hence in 2007 Ponoko launched at the first TechCrunch conference and became the world’s first to enable designers to make & sell downloadable product designs online (open, free, paid).
Since then a community of 130,000 makers, designers, hackers, brands and businesses have made over 400,000 custom products online. And they’ve sold them via our website, their own websites, ETSY, Kickstarter, design events, and to main street retailers.
With free digital prototyping to get a design just right, no minimum order size to get started, and on-demand production available within 1 day to eliminate investment in stock, we’ve make it 10x faster than ever before for designers to prototype, make and sell their custom product ideas online.
Recognised as a pioneering leader of the online digital making industry, we have been featured in places like The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, USA Today, CNN Money, Inc. Magazine (cover), Forbes, Wired, Core77, TechCrunch, Makezine, MIT Technology Review, BBC News and The Economist.
Your appointment will enable us to continue to support our existing customers, and to hatch a new 3D printing initiative to transform our industry again.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to introduce yourself, send your resume, and your answers to these 3 questions:
1) Why do you want this role?
2) What gaps might exist between what we need and what you have?
3) Why are you the best person for this role?
We’re looking forward to meeting you