Happy 2015 to you.
Full Printed from nueveojos on Vimeo.
Hi, I’m Derek Elley, a founder and the CEO of Ponoko (since Jan 2013).
Thanks big for being on our journey to lay some foundations of the 3rd industrial revolution together.
We believe in distributed digital mass production.
That is, consumers will continue to increase the number of products they download and make at home. Kinda like a ‘digital Ikea’ experience to start, followed by a ‘Star Trek Replicator’ down the track. And businesses will continue to increase their supply of digital products, simply because it’s more profitable to do so.
During 2014, we continued to obsess over delivering you the fastest way to make your custom products & build your creative businesses, using our online laser cutting & 3D printing services … made & shipped as fast as same day, no minimum order size, endless free instant quotes, on-demand production, all backed by our 100% re-make guarantee (and our new customer delight policy, whereby we reward you for giving us the opportunity to make good).
We LOVE playing our small part in your creative and business explorations. Thank you (!) for another great year in 2014 …
2014 – PEOPLE USING PONOKO
* Makers / Designers.
* ETSY Sellers.
* Kickstarter Entrepreneurs.
* Creative Agencies.
* Brands & Businesses.
2014 – YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS
* 70,000+ new product ideas submitted to Ponoko.
* 400,000+ custom products now made by Ponoko.
* $370,000+ Kickstarter campaigns using Ponoko.
* $1,720,000+ revenues earned from products you made using Ponoko and sold on marketplaces (like ETSY & Kickstarter), your websites, your stalls, your retailers, and our website.
2014 – IMPROVEMENTS WE MADE FOR YOU
We added the following major features (and many more behind the scenes or smaller features):
* Up to 55% off making costs for volume orders.
* Up to 55% off making costs for loyal customers.
* 100% off shipping costs for all orders over $100.
* Average of 20% off shipping costs with our new USPS service.
* 100% faster making time for our premium service (from 1 day to same day).
* 33% faster making time for our standard service (from 12 to 8 calendar days).
* 14% more materials, including our first $2,500 material design challenge.
* UX – Making your first product is easier with our new homepage and welcome experience.
* UX – Uploading your designs is easier with our new design trouble shooting experience.
* UX – Getting an instant online quote is easier after we cut away the noise.
* UX – Checking out is easier after we cut away lots more noise.
* New customer delight policy – in addition to our 100% re-make guarantee, we also reward you for giving us the opportunity to make good.
2014 – BIGGEST SURPRISE
* We A/B tested many many things. While most progressed to a product upgrade, there was one notable test that did not.
* Our hypothesis was: “Customers get frustrated when our automated design file checker rejects their design files, making it difficult to make things.”
* So we ran an A/B test to dis/prove this … A = no change (the file checker continued, meaning 30% of designs are rejected) … B = change (no file checker at all, meaning 100% of designs are accepted).
* The winner? Draw (hence we retained A).
* We really thought your behaviour would vote for B by a long stretch, but you did not – this really surprised us, and shows the power of A/B testing.
2015 – OUR PLAN
We believe in distributed digital mass production, a disruptor of the current centralised analog mass production model.
Hence, in 2007 we launched the world’s first website for designers to make and sell downloadable product designs (open/paid/free) to consumers.
Building upon this heritage, we have 2 major projects this year …
1) Improve Our Online Laser Cutting Service
For makers / designers, ETSY sellers, Kickstarter entrepreneurs, creative agencies plus brands & businesses, we’ll announce the following upgrades to our current service:
* AutoCAD DXF designs – get instant online quotes for laser cutting.
* Metal cutting – get instant online quotes using PDF designs.
* Rewards – for referring others.
* Pricing – new options.
* Materials & samples – more.
* Shipping – lower costs & faster.
* UX – a shopping cart so you can easily combine designs into a single shipment, and you don’t need to upload your designs repetitively to order repetitively.
* Loyalty – more for being a repeat customer.
* And lots more.
2) Launch Our New Home 3D Printing Service
For creative brands and businesses, we’ll announce a new initiative to make it simple for you to sell your products to consumers more profitably than ever before (via home 3D printers).
We believe the time is ripe for us to unveil the ‘future of making’ idea we’ve been sitting on for almost 8 years when we dreamed up Ponoko.
Please hit us up if you’d like to find out more about our new home 3D printing service.
2015 – BEST WISHES TO YOU
Finally, if you have any questions, concerns or merry-ness to share with me or our team, please feel free to email me [ derek - at - ponoko - dot - com ] or leave a comment below …