Hi I’m David, I’m one of the new 3d print contributors for Ponoko. I live in Wellington, New Zealand – where I work in industrial design. I have experience 3d printing in some of my work for the film industry at Weta Workshop. I’m very enthusiastic about 3d printing technology and potential applications. When I’m not behind a computer screen juggling geometry, I try to get out hiking (we call it tramping in this part of the world), mountain biking or on some other adventure.
I hope to explore and share many aspects of 3d printing, including:
- News & developments in 3d printing.
- Interesting designs being 3d printed by people around the world.
- Materials and various printing processes.
- Looking into product design principals and techniques you can apply to your designs.
- Interviews with people using 3d printing.
- Tutorials on various 3d software packages.
Most of all – I hope to encourage people who haven’t yet used 3d printing to try it out. Personal Factory is available through Ponoko and allows users access to a highly liberating fabrication process. There is a little more work involved making 3d print files compared with laser cutting, but it is still easy for anyone with a little time, patience and 3d software.