The Smart Materials Kit is a sample collection of various powders, wires, and plastics with “smart” qualities. The kit comes with the book Fashioning Technology: A DIY Intro to Smart Crafting by Syuzi Pakhchyan and published by CRAFT.
Material samples include:
• ¼ oz phosphorescent powder (make glow-in-the-dark ink for printing!)
• 10g of blue photochromatic powder (color-changing in different light)
• 10g of yellow photochromatic powder (color-changing in different light)
• 10g of thermochromatic powder (color-changing with temperature)
• 2 feet of shape memory wire; 5 crimp beads to control the wire
• 2 ounces of polymorph plastic (heat and mold as many times as you want)
We’ve mentioned a few designers on the blog that are using these kinds of materials.
• Josien Pieters uses thermochromatic inks in his dynamic wallpapers.
• Marie Ilse Bourlanges visually captures the movement of the body in her experimental fashion.
• Kathy Schicker uses photochromatic and phosphorescent techniques in transformative textiles.
• Nendo designed a “blooming” lamp with a shape-memory alloy.
The Smart Materials Kit is available with Fashioning Technology for $65 at the Maker Shed.
via Fashioning Tech