If you found yourself nodding when you read Martha Stewart’s take on DIY, you’ll probably agree with these reasons on why it’s better to design it yourself instead of picking it off the retail shelf and buying it. Don’t resist though, if you have more leave me a comment.
So, what are the top ten reasons it’s better to design things yourself?
1. Solves your own problems. Need something cool looking yet functional but only about yay high? Whatever you requirements are, you can fulfill them.
2. Reflects your personality, style and charm. It’s too hard to leave it to others to design to your style. Do they know you that well?!
3. Exercises your brain cells. Challenges your creativity and problem-solving skills. Enriches your knowledge on design theory and trends, sustainable materials, the ins and outs of vector editor software, and whatever else you encounter along the way.
4. It’ll make you and your family proud. One early beta user said that after he built his table, his wife liked him more!
5. It’s just cool. Period.
6. Brings “ownership” and “my stuff” to a deeper level.
7. It’ll impress the hell out of your friends, their friends, your coworkers and potential girlfriends/boyfriends.
8. The one-of-a-kind quality of it makes it even more valuable if you ever want to sell it! (You could always do limited editions too). No doubt more valued than mass manufactured products.
9. If you don’t want to sell it, your one-of-a-kind creation could be a legacy/heirloom to pass down the family for future generations.
10. You could be the next Le Corbusier if your designs take off!